The expression “innovative education” refers to a set of tools and methodologies that allow to enhance both the students’ learning experience and the instructors’ teaching practice.
Politecnico di Milano has been one of the first Italian universities which produced, developed and resorted new educational models and methodologies, supported by scientific research in the educational field.
The Department of Mathematics has been active partner in producing MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) on the platform Polimi Open Knowledge managed by the learning innovation center METID of Politecnico di Milano.
MOOCs are online courses made of high quality instructional videos, dig deeper sections and assessment activities.
The Department of Mathematics is in charge of the following MOOCs, available on Polimi Open Knowledge platform:
- Archaeostronomy: the science of stone and stars
- BetOnMath for Citizens - Scommetti sulla matematica: to prevent the abuse of gambling
- Equazioni differenziali ordinarie del secondo ordine: about Ordinary Differential Equations (2nd order)
- Finanza per tutti: basic financial education in collaboration with the Italian institution Altroconsumo
- Introduzione alla matematica per l’università - Pre-Calculus: about Elementary mathematics
- Laboratorio di Matematica per Architettura: about the application of mathematics in architecture
- Matematica per scenari: a collection of scenarios to teach mathematics by problem-solving and modelling
- Moneta e sistema dei pagamenti about payment system and frauds in collaboration with Banca d’Italia
The Department has been developing educational practices based on Blended and Hyperflex methodologies (e.g., Flipped-learning), resorting digital resources, educational applet and general-purpose platforms. Such an activity allowed to redesign some teaching practices and assessment activities through digital resources content-oriented, general-purpose and IA assisted.
In particular, the following courses:
- Analysis 2 for bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Mathematics for bachelor’s degree in Architectural design
- Finanza matematica 1a Mathematical Engineering Programme.